Thursday 4 March 2010

Argument sketch



I like the line "I could be arguing in my spare time". I showed you this as it's a classic insight into the British sense of humour. Monty Python are legendary, they are all Oxford graduates.
This sketch also shows us something about how we know via rationalism/reason. The entire sketch uses the language of reason. They argue about definitions of an argument(illustrating one of the issues we have we language as a way of knowing), they also engage in a deductive and seemingly logical discussion about what an argument is. This is ironic of course and leads eventually to an example of the fallacy in inductive logic ("I could be arguing in my spare time"). That statement is the "Black Swan" moment perhaps! So reason has been introduced this week and we will continue with ideas to do with logic next week. Please bring with you the set essay questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment